The mentors assigned to our scholars are former scholarship recipients themselves. They have undergone similar experiences that their mentees will likely encounter in their first years at a university. Our goal is to help underrepresented students from our community and give them the tools they’ll need to thrive in higher education. That being said, our mentors serve as those friendly yet advisable peers that help find those resources and alleviate the fear and mysteries that come with facing higher education, all on your own.
Different topics that our mentees focus on during the mentorship experience:
- Understanding how to read financial aid summaries;
- Learning to deal with balancing social lives, school, and work
- Learning how to research and find internship opportunities
- How to manage the stress of being a college student
- Learning the importance of eating healthy and maintaining healthy habits
- Managing course loads and registering for classes